Friday, August 21, 2009

The Heart of Midwifery

I love the name The Heart of Midwifery. It is so much my heart. I love my work and the mommies and their families that I am blessed to know and serve. We truly become family in sharing this oh so sacred and intimate of life's events. I used to pray that God would make me His complete servant, and He has answered my prayers in a way so complete that I could not have imagined it at the time. Thank you to all of you who have chosen to honor me and trust me with guiding you on this special journey.

What is the “heart” of midwifery? It is the true commitment to service; to serving women in the time of their birth in a deep, deep way. It is putting fear and doubt aside and giving the mother time; tuning in to process her fears and doubts and to help her ready herself for the next stage of her life’s journey. It is honoring that it is her journey. It is putting myself aside to be in service to her. To love her. To fall in love with her.

Midwifery is a strong calling. It is strong both in how it pulls you in and it is strong in how it walks you. You are challenged in everything you thought you were and everything you thought you would be. It is perhaps the most difficult and the most rewarding job there is. It requires deep sacrifice and deeper giving. You stretch beyond anything you thought you were capable of. In addition, you get to witness the most divine miracle of all...BIRTH!

How blessed I am to be chosen and honored to do the work I do, to have the support of my husband and my daughters, to meet and develop relationships with the incredible women I get to work with, to witness new life and the miracle it represents, to be able to love and be loved so completely by all the lives I touch, to be His face and His hands and to witness His face and His hands so frequently.

Today I await the return of my husband and daughters from a 2 1/2 week road trip to Colorado where they went to attend a friend's wedding. I stayed behind to care for my mommies and their families. One of my partners is in the Philippines at a birth center and the other is attending the birth of her grandson. I do not feel like I am being left out...I feel I am being blessed. I am getting lots of one-on-one with my youngest daughter who stayed behind, I am supporting my partners, and I am getting some much-needed down time. In addition, the house is getting cleaned!

1 comment:

  1. Paula you put that so beautifully. What you do is not your work, it is your calling and your service! I've recently received my doula certificate and have become a childbirth educator and hope to bless women in Turkey where my California family is living at this time. I'm also waitin for labor to begin for my 7th baby (today I'm 41 weeks, 2 days). I'm going to be excited to "follow" your life through blog.

    ReplyDelete