Saturday, August 29, 2009

A story to share...

I interviewed with a couple who were entertaining having a homebirth. They had seen The Business of Being Born, a documentary on homebirth produced by Ricki Lake, and were curious to meet a midwife. They were excited but worried about the money, even though I assured them I would never turn anyone away because of money.

A couple of days after the interview, the husband calls me and asks me to keep our conversation a secret. He wants to surprise his wife with the gift of a homebirth. Money is a big issue for them, but he and I agreed to terms that are acceptable to both of us. We scheduled an appointment for the next day at their house.

Remember, this is to be a surprise! When I arrived and his wife discovered his gift, she cried tears of happiness. You see, she was just about to call me to let me know she could not have a homebirth; then I arrived and informed her of her husband's gift! I must say, this gift is the biggest, most sincere act of love for a man to give his wife that I have ever witnessed. It was pure joy.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful, thoughtful husband! She will always be thankful for such a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete