Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Mother's Journey through Pregnancy

As a client and now close friend of Paula Schnebelt, I'd like to take you on a journey with me through my experiences during pregnancy. I'll share with you many of my discoveries along the way, what it was like having Paula Schnebelt as my midwife, and the moment every first-time (and even second and third time) mom fears: the delivery. Before I get ahead of myself though, I'll start with the beginning:

My decision to birth at home

If you're like most women, homebirth wasn't your first thought when you discovered you were pregnant. For me, it was different. As a child, I was occasionally asked which hospital I was born in. When I responded that I and two of my siblings had been born at home, I would hear things like: "Wow, you have a brave mother!" Or, "I'm glad you're O.K.!" When I asked my mom why she had risked our safety to birth us at home, she'd tell me of the cold and impersonal experience she'd had with the birth of her first two children, then contrasted it with the more natural and warm setting of her three home births. She had been so grateful to have a midwife walk her through her pregnancies and care for her during her labor and recovery. She would have had it no other way.

When I became pregnant, there was no question in my mind: I would birth at home with a midwife. I knew in my heart that it was the right decision for me. What I didn't know, however, was how I would justify my decision to the multitude of well-meaning friends and acquaintances who would certainly challenge my resolve. I thus began my pursuit of knowledge - I would discover why homebirth is the safest, most comfortable, least painful method of delivery available today.

No comments:

Post a Comment